Exposed Stone in bedroom 1

By Andy the stuff doer

Compared to the attic rooms, the first floor bedroom started of  as looking a little under par. Yes it had the only exposed part of the cruck frame and a beamed ceiling  but it was just a rectangular box. It needed a little more character.  We found some as we stripped back to the timber wall next to door and even more after I chipped away all the cement based render from the thick stone outer wall.

It revealed quite a bit about the changes  over time so it was decided to leave the stone work and timbers exposed.  As with most decisions on this project it added another considerable chunk of time, but never mind it’ll be worth it in the end.

stone bedroom wall revealed

stone bedroom wall revealed

In this photo you can see the majority of the stone wall. On the left of the window I had already re-pointed to fit the radiator, so the boiler could be fitted, so I’d at least be warm working through the depths of winter this year.  On the right the remnants of lime putty plaster can be seen in the joints.  The window is now obviously smaller than the previous one but the opening has been widened on the left even though its been built back in on the right.  The top of the opening now has a concrete lintel with some brick bits to the underside of the outer timber lintel.

I chose to re-point using hydraulic lime rather than lime putty because the finish would be close in colour to the stone so the various joint widths and large areas would not be dominant.  The surface would also be less prone to damage and dusting than lime putty, important as the the wall will be brushed against at the side of the bed.   As many of the joints where deep and wide I took a two stage approach.

When all the cement render was chipped off some areas where in very poor condition. This area is prepared ready for re-pointing.

prep for repointing stone

Cement render removed and joint prepared for repointing

These wide and deep areas were first filled with a mix of sharp sand and NHL 3.5  ( mix ratio 3:1)

dobbing out joints

Wide and deep joints filled with sharp sand and lime

The top layer is yellow soft sand and NHL 3.5 (2.5:1).  This is carefully shaped to the profile I wanted, slightly back from the stone face but without leaving  prominant ledges that would be difficult to clean.  After a couple of hours it is worked back to close up any shrinkage cracks. After it has started to set the surface is rubbed to remove tool marks and apply an even, sandy texture.

finished stone pointing

Surface pointing with yellow / soft sand and lime

Tidying up the window surround

The picture at the top of this post shows how rough the window surround is.  It had been plaster boarded over to make a window opening the same size as the current window.  The room feels much bigger without the boarding so I came up with another plan that would also add a bit of insulation.   I boarded the area as close to structure as I could with the insulated tile backing board I used on the Dormer upstairs. 

window reveal boarded

Insulated tile backing board as backing for render

This provided a stable backing I could then render with the same mix I used for pointing the stonework.

mesh for render

Mesh to reinforce rendered corners

Corners reinforced and curved with mesh instead of a round bead that I used upstairs

rounded render corners

Finished render with rounded corners

Rendered and finished with some crafty float work and rubbed to match the pointing. It all blends in together and the room is beginning to look a bit special.

Leave a Reply